Amber’s Journey to Entrepreneurship:
When my children were young, I was looking to do something that still gave me a career and a purpose while being able to be there for my children. I was tired of the long commutes back and forth into Toronto. I was working long hours and felt like someone else was raising my children. I didn’t want to miss out on those precious early years that go by so fast. Now that my children are older (one is in high school and the other not far behind), it is still just as important to me that I am available to my family. I wanted to build something that could not only provide for my family, but to show my children that if you work hard and believe in yourself, anything is possible. Being a “mompreneur” has been the perfect blend of both worlds – home and professional.
Par-T-Perfect is Canada’s only national full service children’s party and event service — your complete children’s party and event service specializing in entertainment for children 0-12 years old. We have 20+ locations across Canada and the U.S. Our clean, fully insured and supervised equipment, together with our experienced and enthusiastic party leaders will make your event one to remember. Our mission statement is to “create lasting memories for children” and that’s exactly what we do! Together with our energetic and enthusiastic Party Leaders, we will make your event one to remember!
Amber’s Tips for Other Women Thinking of Starting a Business:
- Have set office hours. Just because I work from home, does not mean that clients can call me all hours of the day. If I was a store, I would be closed when the mall is closed. Not having set hours leads to a chaotic schedule and you will never feel like you have a break.
- Be organized and focused. In the beginning you are going to be pulled in all different directions and want to try everything to get your business going. Stick to your business plan and be focused. I use time blocking to stay organized. I allocate certain times of the day to do certain things (i.e I respond to emails at 3 different times during the day, I work on social media at another time, etc.). Allocating small chunks of time to a specific task will help to keep you on track.
- Take care of yourself. If you are not healthy and feeling well, how are you going to run a business? Make sure you take the time in your day to get some exercise. Make sure you get enough sleep and eat properly.
- Set goals and write them down. And celebrate when you achieve them. Goals that are not written down are dreams. Write down your goals and the steps involved to achieve that goal, no matter how small the goal. When you achieve a goal, reward yourself. You need to celebrate your accomplishments. You worked hard to make that goal a reality, now celebrate it!
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help! Do not try to be a hero and do everything by yourself. We all need help at some point and don’t be ashamed or afraid to ask for it. Don’t like accounting, then why would you do it? Get a bookkeeper/ accountant to do it for you. Do you have small children and feel like you can’t get any time to yourself to get some work done? Setting up playdates with some other moms is a great way to get some quality work time and your kids get to socialize with other children. Once a week, your kids can go for a playdate and you get an afternoon of quiet focused work time.