Theresa Nicassio is an Elite+ Mompreneur member based out of Vancouver, BC. She is a Finalist for The 2017 Mompreneur Award of Excellence, for her inclusivity-based research and teachings outlined in her cookbook YUM: plant-based recipes for a gluten-free diet.
Theresa’s Journey to Entrepreneurship
Since childhood I have been entranced by the power of the human spirit and its capacity to survive, even in the face of adversity. This gift has equipped me to help others and has also helped me during the dark days of my own illness when I knew I didn’t want to leave my daughters motherless before they graduated high school. Oprah Winfrey and Barbra Streisand were role models for me, inspiring me through their example, to face my fears, overcome obstacles, step into my power (even when it was unpopular), and not lose sight of hope.
Being an entrepreneur for me is inextricably linked to my calling to help make the world a better place. While I never expected my reach and visibility to ever become so big, now that it is I see it as an opportunity to empower even more people by partnering with other visionaries and serve as the wind beneath THEIR wings. As we see the planet facing tremendous obstacles, it is a time when hope is most needed. I am simply saying “Yes” to the call.
Dr. Theresa Nicassio is a kindness advocate, psychologist, wellness educator, speaker, raw food chef, radio host, author, publisher, mother of two, and an activist committed to helping make the world a more compassionate and sustainable place.
Theresa’s innovative anti-bullying INCLUSIVE COOKING initiative was spearheaded with her multi award-winning book YUM: Plant-Based Recipes for a Gluten-Free Diet (a 2016 Gourmand Best in the World winner). The book is opening a long-needed dialogue around special needs and the problem of unintentional exclusion in our society. Theresa’s own journey as a mum who encountered health problems after the birth of her first daughter led to her deep passion to share what she has learned so that others can benefit.
Theresa also contributes to the community through social media, her online wellness resource hub: TheresaNicassio.com, her blog YumFoodForLiving.com, magazine columns and as the host of the Dr. Theresa Nicassio Show on Healthy Life Radio.
Theresa’s Tips for Other Women Thinking of Starting a Business:
- Be YOU: Authenticity and uniqueness are far more important than image. Far too often as women we believe that we are not “enough” as we are, not realizing how perfect we are even with our imperfections. When we try to be someone we aren’t, we cut ourselves off from our distinctiveness which actually is our greatest source of creativity, problem-solving, and even innovation. We also waste a lot of valuable time and energy that we could otherwise use to serve. Besides, people will trust you more when they feel the truth of your essence. It’s just good business!
- Be BRAVE: Forget your Comfort Zone! Fear limits us. Habituated fear not only limits, but also makes us blind. When we are willing to soften our edges and invite new ways of thinking about situations and doing things, it is incredible what possibilities we can discover.
- Be True: Never compromise your integrity. Your soul and self-respect are your greatest treasures. No opportunity or profit is worth risking either. Trust your gut – it won’t mislead you… if a business opportunity makes you feel uneasy in anyway, at any point of the process, turn around and don’t look back!
- Be Curious: We women have a nasty habit of not believing in ourselves. We often don’t think that we are worthy of anything too special and so have a propensity not to even throw our hat into the game. So, when there is an opportunity before you that you notice yourself asking “Why Me?” notice what happens when you turn that question around in your mind and instead ask yourself “Why NOT Me?” You will be amazed how much that simple change in perspective will perk you up and help you have more clarity and courage to step forward.
- Know Your “WHY”: As I like to say, “Your WHY is Where Your Passion Resides”. When there is no “Why” there is no passion. When there is no passion, there is no purpose or motivation. When there is no purpose and no passion, there is no energy or interest in you or anything you do. On the other hand, when you know your “Why”, you are more engaged in what you are doing. Your “Why” also helps you stay on track after disappointments and better cope when you feel all alone along your journey. Your “Why” also makes your “work” a labour of love, helping you get through those tough times and sometimes long hard hours that can be part of birthing your new business. Your “Why” also helps you release your pride. When we work from our heart to serve, we realize that what we do isn’t about us, but is about making a difference in the world and in the lives of others.
Join us on March 3/4 in Toronto for The 2017 National Mompreneurs Conference, where we will announce all of our 2017 Mompreneur Award winners – LIVE at the event!